04 September 2012

"Administrivia"

"Death’s Companion: Paperwork" is the title of a column in the NYT this week detailing the myriad of things that need to be attended to when a loved one dies.
“There was a tidal wave of things to do,” Ms. Foreman said. “We were surprised by how much and how hard it was. When you think something’s done, it’s not. Everything takes multiple tries.”
We’re leaving aside the financial matters: wills, estates, lawyers and so forth. We’re also leaving aside the sometimes wrenching, sometimes comforting process of sorting and donating clothing and personal items. We’re dealing only with administrivia, some of which can be handled online but much of which requires phone calls and letters and a whole lot of persistence.
This isn't a detailed "how-to" article (those can be Googled); this is more of a what-to-expect and how-to-prepare set of reminders about -
Social Security and Medicare
Changing advance directives (for surviving significant others)
Changing bank accounts
Selling the car
Changing or canceling bills and subscriptions. Utilities. Credit cards. Phones
Canceling monthly prescriptions
Updating emergency contacts
Filing taxes
I've been through this once and expect to do so again in the future.  It can be a tiresome experience.

2 comments:

  1. My stepmother died almost two years ago and I'm still trying to get all of my dad's household bills into just his name. I think I've finally talked the lawn service into taking her name off their bills.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this. I've tried to get everything in order in one place so my daughter will not have more trouble than necessary. I'll read this and see if I've missed anything.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...